When Mommy is sick…
1) She now leaves work halfway through the day knowing she can’t push herself because no one else will take care of precious toddler.
2) When home, instead of going to bed she lies on the floor for 3 hours, in different yoga poses to try to battle the nausea, stomach pains, bone and muscle aches. All poses were ones that required the majority of her body lying on the floor like crocodile pose, corpse pose, easy gas release pose, half bridge pose, locus, and cobra.
3) She gives toddler supper in front of computer watching a movie and sits with her for an hour, before going to bed at 6:30p.m. knowing toddler only has one hour of movie left and will be coming to bed with her. Yes, she let’s the device babysit the three-year old.
4) When toddler climbs in bed with her she vaguely says, half asleep, “Brush your teeth.” Doesn’t enforce it. And takes toddler’s jeans off in lieu of getting up and putting proper sleep wear on her.
5) Wakes up with crazy nausea at 10:30p.m. and suffers silently until 2a.m., trying not to wake toddler. (Yes, this post aims to invoke sympathy.)
6) Doesn’t sit with toddler during breakfast because everything makes her want to vomit.
7) Brings toddler to pre-school 10 minutes before class because she has no energy to get out the door.
8) Gets home and tries to do light housework, because she can’t lie down anymore, vegging in front of the TV isn’t an option and might as well be doing something that needs to be done since there’s no one else who will be doing it. The activity should be good for Mommy to get over the bug she’s got. Perhaps a nap too. In this case, no TV is a good think.
9) Does squeeze in an hour of work that she can do from home, sitting in a position that keeps her stomach cool. Because it still needs to be done… ain’t no one gonna do that for her either:)
Tis’ the life in a single mother’s life… any full-time single parent. A blessed one and a true challenge in perseverance, determination and patience.
Any comments of sympathy *insert puppy dog eyes* or of distane are welcome below. Thoughts of similar experiences too. And as always, for a male perspective of the same issue to be used as a guest blog… would love it actually:) Gotta aim to represent all sides of an issue.